Saturday, September 18, 2010

Freedom of speech for everyone...but YOU.

A friend of mine got verbally spanked yesterday for posting something on her Facebook status update. I can't quote her directly (since she felt she had to delete it within 24 hours), but it was something along the lines of, "I am so tired of people complaining about not being able to lose weight when they don't exercise or eat right."
You better believe that I both "liked" and commented the crap out of that status update. How frustrating is it to have someone complain over and over again about something in their life on Facebook and do absolutely zero to fix it?? I have been tempted numerous times to comment back to those people, "Well, maybe you should get off Facebook and go take a jog.", but you know me and my big, bleeding heart...I can't hurt people's feelings (or something like that).
Now, I'll be the first person to say that sure, I have some weight to lose (along with about 75% of the other people in this country), but also...I would never say this on Facebook. Because, really...who wants to be bombarded with complaints when they check in to see what's happening with their friends and family in the morning?? I'm going to be honest with all of you. Sometimes I'll do dramatic readings for my work friends of all of the complaints that I find on Facebook. Yes...if you are one that complains on a regular basis...I have probably made fun of you (although, don't worry...your name was never used, since no one in North Carolina knows or cares who you are). I'd rather not give anyone ammunition to do something similar with my words.
I don't understand how people can continue to say, "I don't know why I can't lose weight."
It's simple. You eat more than you move. Now that you have the answer, will you stop blaming other things on the reason you "can't" lose weight?

So, back to the story...last night, Stephanie posted an apology for the people who got their feelings hurt.
"I feel terribly for the status I put yesterday. If you read this and I offended you I am so very sorry. I am very passionate about seeing people reach their fitness goals. I know better than to speak my mind on here. :\"

Does anyone else see a problem with this??
I say that if one person has the right to complain, then it also gives everyone else the right to respond. Sure, not many people like to have a mirror held up to them (and I suspect that is the very reason why Stephanie's comment hurt some feelings), but who said a mirror is a bad thing?

No comments: