Thursday, March 29, 2012

Feeling Thankful...

Much like a lot of people, I DVR a ton of shows. Everything from New Girl (hilarious!!) and Happy Endings (double hilarious!!) to CBS Sunday Morning (I'm 82 years old!) and Oprah's Master Class (wait - no...I'm a 47 year old divorced mother of 2 that is searching for insights from celebrities!).
One of the shows I watched today was Anderson (who doesn't love that dude?) - he was doing a show about the pink slime that is found in ground beef and I couldn't help but have an overwhelming feeling of thankfulness for the way I grew up.
I grew up in a family that ate organic before eating organic was popular. As a matter of fact, if I ever said the word "organic" to my dad, he would have looked at me like I had 12 heads.
Did I hate picking green beans every summer? Sure. Was I slightly embarrassed that every fall we'd have a dead cow hanging in our front yard? What 6th grader wouldn't be?! Thinking back, though, I can't help but feel thankful for the fact that I knew exactly what that dead cow ate - you know...the grass that I bag-mowed on a daily basis (yeah...we had a lot of yard to mow). I can't help but feel thankful that the only pesticides that were on the veggies that we ate were...well...no pesticides. We just didn't eat the veggies that already eaten by insects....no pesticides needed!
I realize this was one of the most random posts ever, but I just wanted to say that I am thankful for a childhood that was filled with pink slime-less meat.

No comments: