Friday, July 27, 2012

Humor Fail.

So about a month and a half ago I received an email from a coworker of mine asking these questions:
1.      Where are you from?
2.      Tells us about your family (e.g. married, engaged, children)
3.      How long have you been working here?
4.      What hobbies, sports, or other leisure time activities do you enjoy most?
5.      What do you want to be doing ten years from now?
6.      What is the best piece of advice you have ever received?

The intention was for her to put together a "getting to know you" directory for our entire team.

Naturally, I couldn't give straightforward/boring answers to these questions, so I responded with...

  1. From St. Louis, MO. Well, a farm town outside of St. Louis, MO…
  2. Single with no kids, sooo…you can either view me as a “spinster” or a “free spirit”. I’m fine with either.
  3. I started in Home Loans in December 2010 and moved over to Staffing in May 2011.
  4. The other day I went to see a friend of mine play softball. There was a foul ball and I ran after it. When a guy on his team asked me to throw the ball over the fence to him, I tried…and didn’t even clear the fence. He laughed and said, “I guess that’s why you’re watching and not playing?” So, to answer your question – not a soul on the planet would consider me “sporty”. I do enjoy reading, though!
  5. I hope I’m just as happy as I am now. I generally don’t like the dreams for myself to be dependent on another human being, but whatever happens – I hope I’m happy.
  6. “Don’t regret growing older, it is a privilege denied to many.” Appropriately, this was on a Snapple lid.  
So after I sent the answers, I completely forgot about it until the team call yesterday when a teammate with a very monotone voice shared this...


I know, I know - what I had written was entirely too long and it had to be whittled down to fit on a PowerPoint slide, but seriously!?!? I am pretty sure this is how politicians and celebrities feel when their words are taken out of context. I was honestly sitting there with wide eyes saying, "I said that crap!?! Seriously? 'A free spirit'? That doesn't sound like me at all!"

I want to scream into the phone, "MY WORDS HAVE BEEN TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT!!!"
My thoughts were confirmed when I got a few pings from teammates that said, "Wow, that doesn't sound like you at all!"
At least my friends at work know that I'm not a tree-hugging free spirit - unfortunately, my boss probably doesn't realize it.

1 comment:

whatnot said...

Oh, you wacky free-spirited gal, you.