Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Lou-Lou (not Lulu) asked for this blog...

My sister-in-law asked for this blog not long after we got back from New York City last year, so it was written for her...

6/12/2008

To My Laura-Lou: Not That There's Anything Wrong With That



I'm not even sure how to start this, but it was requested a couple weeks ago by my girl, Laura...and I never let my people down!
That is such a lie...I've been known to let quite of few people down. Although, I can say that I never TRY to let my people down. I suppose that would be a more correct statement. So...point being....SHOUT OUT TO LAURA!! YEAH, LAURA! THE MOTHER OF MY UNBORN NIECE, SADIE!!! SMOOCHES TO THAT UNBORN FETUS!!

A few weeks ago (more specifically, May 1st-May 5th) Laura, my beautiful mother, a bunch o' my mom's friends, and I went to NYC. Yes, THE New York City. Can you believe it? I'm somebody now! *insert Steve Martin dancing around with a phone book here* (I love that only a few of you will understand that reference)

The reason of this excursion was to see Clay Aiken (oh, yes...THAT Clay Aiken) in Monty Python's Spamalot, but it became so much more. I discovered myself. HA! Who are we kidding?!?!? I'm not that dramatic! What I did discover was my love of Broadway...and all the gays that make it so magnificent. I went to 4 shows during that long weekend. Can you guess what the common theme was in all of these musicals? Maybe I should name them for you...Spamalot, Glory Days, Altar Boyz, and Avenue Q. Anyone?!?! Common theme...ANYONE?

Well, you get a cookie if you guessed it right (just let me know, I'll mail it to you)...in every one of those musicals, there was a dramatic "outing" of a major character. No. I did not go see these shows just because of my love for the gay community. I honestly had no clue what 3 of the 4 shows were about. And even in Spamalot (who hasn't seen Monty Python???), I don't ever remember there being a gay, gay, GAY character.

So...back to the subject line o' my blog. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but...what is the deal with everyone needing to come out on Broadway!?!? I can handle it in 3 of the 4 shows I went to, but really?!? All four shows!?!? Oh, well. More power to 'em. Fight the good fight, peeps!


Lets all raise our glasses (I may be the only person that has one, so believe me when I say that I'm raising it) to:

-To my momma...oh, how I want to break out into some "Mama" by Boyz II Men. I'm sorry you got sick for the first time in 10 years. That really blew. But...doesn't it make a good story for 15 years from now when we can say, "Remember the time you turned really, really white in the middle of Times Square and I thought I was going to have to call an ambulance? Man! That was a good time!"

-To Laura...how pleasantly surprised I was that my brother let you come with us. Not that he really has the ability to "allow" you to do anything, but still...you're married and he didn't say "no"....which leads me to my next cheers-ing...

-To Seth....thanks for not saying "no" and actually pushing her out the door to do something fun for herself for once. Which, now that I think about it, is kind of odd...what did you guys end up doing that that weekend???

-To my momsie's friends...it's good to know that my mom is not the only person willing to travel a thousand miles to see Clay Aiken. It makes me feel less "different".

-To Starbucks....thanks for being on every dang corner!

-And finally, to the People of New York! (I've just always wanted to say that. They didn't really do anything too outstanding...except for not mugging me, I really appreciated that.)

No comments: