Saturday, May 8, 2010

Like an old brass penny with two heads up...

Wednesday:

I'm just going to try to hit the highlights because the days are really starting to run together. (Yeah, sorry. I really should have taken notes...)

I remember Thomas had about 32 conference calls that day, so I left him behind and went to have lunch with my mom at Great Harvest Bread Co. I really wish there was one of those closer to me (and no, Ballentyne is not close enough).

After dropping my mom back off at work, I went to pick up my nephew early from school. He had no clue that I was coming, so when I walked into his classroom (during their nap time...dang, I miss kindergarten), the teacher whispered his name and it took him about 3 seconds to realize who I was and he ran to jump in my arms. The first question he asked me was, "How was the baseball game last night?"
Ohhh...I love that kid.

I told him that we could do anything he wanted to do, anything at all. Wanna know what he picked? The world is this kid's oyster and he wanted to go play at home. Ummm...okie dokie. I can handle that. Dream big, I always say.

After playing for about 3 hours and Logan surprising Thomas with some chocolate covered pretzels (enjoy those, mom...I totally forgot to take 'em out of the fridge), we decided that a shake sounded like a delicious excursion. I love that he's already inheriting my decision-making skills. I asked what kind of shake he wanted and he said he wanted vanilla, until I said that I was getting strawberry...then he decided that strawberry was the way to go. I had to explain that it is way better to get two different kinds and then switch in the middle. I also had to explain this rationale to Thomas at the rehearsal dinner, but I'll get to that in tomorrow's post.

When Seth got home, I had to get T's car back to him so he could make it downtown to meet Chris for drinks. I ran to take a shower and waited...and waited....and waited for Ali to pick me up to meet Ryan and Stephanie for dinner in Wentzville (about 20 minutes away). I realized at that point why I have always been so used to Sam's clock. When I say 6pm to Ali, it means, "Oh, 6 or 8 or 8:30...whatever feels good at the moment."
The greatest part was calling him over and over again at 6:25 and he finally called me back and said, "Did you just call me 3 times in a row?"
Uhhhh....yeah. We needed to be at dinner 1 minute ago. He thought I had said 8. Even when I talked to him at 5 and said that I'd see him in an hour. Wow. I love that boy.

Seeing that Ryan used to crash on Ali's floor (yeah, it's time you all learned that we were wandering hoodlums from 2001-2002), Ryan was already privy to the way that Ali's clock works and was able to push dinner back by half an hour. Everyone I had talked to said that 54th Street Grille was a great place with cheap food. The thing that I wasn't aware of was the fact that they serve 5,ooo calorie portion sizes and their buffalo chicken sandwich technically doesn't include chicken. Who knew??

After picking through an inch of fried stuff to find whatever was in the middle and discussing the fears that Steph has of birthing her child (which was technically due yesterday), we decided to go to Fritz's for some ice cream. I made the mistake of ordering a vanilla concrete with peanut butter. I had no idea that it was going to taste exactly like I was eating spoonfuls of peanut butter out of the jar. For anything thinking about doing the same thing, let me warn you...it will be awesome for about 4 bites and then suddenly get sickening. Seriously. Have you ever tried to eat a jar of peanut butter? It's not easy.

At 9:30, we decided to call it a night. Mission accomplished. I had successfully made myself ill off of strawberry shake, bits of "chicken", and peanut butter with a side of ice cream.

No comments: