Thursday, May 27, 2010

This isn't about you....really.

When did that addictive little social networking site become a place for people to say some of the most disturbing stuff?

True, at some times I find it more entertaining to read other people's drama than to go to watch a movie, but still...at what point did it become socially acceptable to air out your dirty laundry on Facebook? Last week, there was a huge war of words between an old high school chum and her family. Did I go back every other day to check out what verbal bombs were dropped? Abso-freakin-lutely! Was it the right medium to discuss such an insanely private matter? Heck no. (If you want to know the dirt, just let me know...I'll fill you in. It was really juicy...and no, I REALLY, REALLY shouldn't even know about it.)

Sure, I know that I'm adding to the problem by actually being interested (in a completely voyeuristic sort of way) when other people's crap hits the fan (and, for what it's worth, I never comment on real drama...I just read it like I'm sneaking a peak at someone's diary. I know that my ability to actually keep my commenting-mouth shut may come as a shock to many of you), but I really do find it more entertaining reading about your drama than what you had for lunch...and believe it or not, many times I'm laughing and reading your drama out loud to my coworkers. Yes, you are becoming comedic fodder in North Carolina. Be proud.

Do you really want your old college pals to remember you for the friend you were to them in college or do you want them to remember you as the girl that has 3 different baby daddies and can't get child support from any of them? Do you really want to be MY entertainment? My guess is no. Because, I'm going to be 100% honest here: I am judging you right along with the rest of your world.

Oh, and while we're on the subject of Facebook:

While I was in St. Louis, I went over to my cousin's house. She got on Facebook and lamented, "Ugh, since all of my friends have become moms, that is ALL they talk about."
And then she proceeded to read off every post of momdom on her page. So, let me save you your breath if you are thinking about posting all of your mommy musings...
No one cares that your kid is in the 78th percentile, but they will laugh when you proclaim that your kid pooped all over you. Post accordingly.

No comments: